Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Where's Relief?


It's cold here in West Texas this time of year.  Currently 36 degrees in town, but once we get to the ranch, it's usually about 10 degrees colder.  It's already begun to snow, and snow is only going to add frustrations to an already long an hectic work day.  I'm leaving in the next thirty minutes, jumping in the truck with the crew and headed about thirty miles south of town, onto the dirt road for about another thirty minutes, and then our "twelve" gets underway.  

Although this might seem like a bad deal for everybody, there are some people who will be relieved by the fact we are coming to work.  One day is composed of 24 hours, as I'm sure all of you very well know, and since we only work twelve, someone else (another crew) is needed to work the other twelve.  You see, the oil-field doesn't recognize holidays or sickness.  Well, not formally at least.  Just about two weeks ago, most of you enjoyed a day or two off with the family.  Had some time to eat, drink, and be merry, but for those of us on Rig 5 and many other rigs across West Texas, the only way we celebrated was through smiling at the extra eight hours earned for working on Thanksgiving.  So, to put it plainly the drilling never stops.  And that's why we work through the night, and the Daylights crew works through the day.  24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year.  That's right we'll be working on Christmas!  All to say, that what we most look forward to, other than our days off, is at the end of our "twelve" when the other crew shows up for their shift and we get relieved of our duties for the at least the next twelve hours.  No matter what crew you're on, the one event that is sure to put a smile on anyone's face is "RELIEF".       

My relationship with Nate has been steadily growing, and although we have had one major falling out (3 mos. ago), I could have never imagined how much God would show me through my friendship with Nate.  My days are coming to an end (12 days exactly), and I know that my heart will be filled with a bit of sorrow.  I'm leaving this place and headed back to the comforts of friends and a warm place to study.  All of which I'm very thankful for, and all of which I anticipate with great joy.  My mind and my heart with still partially be with Rig 5, and I will forever wonder if the seeds of life were planted, but moreover, will there be harvesters enough for the harvest.  As my time wears down, I can see that my departure isn't something to be celebrated with my crew, but instead I'm trying to soak up as much as possible, drink as deeply as I can and open my eyes to what God would have my see.  But still the question remains...

Where's Relief?

I ask this, only partially as a rhetorical question, and the rest of it is left for you to comment about.  As long as I have known my step-father (dad), he has worked in the oil-field and most time on the rigs.  So my exposure to the oil-field runs deep.   It's always been a barren land, but it has never been bigger than it is now.  Which leaves me hurting, wondering and hoping that someone will notice these people.  Notice, that they are a different breed, but still worthy of God's GREAT gift.  I hear about mission opportunities all the time.  Some to other countries, inner cities and most to impoverished places.  However, I keep thinking that the industry that has consumed my family life and my life for the past six months need missionaries just the same.  I do understand that because of certain circumstances, typical missions style isn't really plausible.  Which kind of excites me in a way.  I have always believed that missionaries are a very necessary vessel for advancing the Gospel, but I have never been intrigued myself. I've always felt that my everyday life was a mission field, and every appointment a divine appointment.  When I was younger I thought I wanted to be a pastor of a church, but as I grew in my faith I realized a need for spreading the gospel in places that have access to churches, but to people who would never step foot in a church to seek God.  This lifestyles has brought about accountability, because I don't ever feel like my faith possess and "on/off switch".  No one's should, but I'm afraid sometimes it's easy to assimilate back into the ways of this world.  As I conclude the next two weeks on Rig 5, my prayer is that I will keep my eyes on the prize, maintain an eternal perspective and Love as I have never loved before. 

Not Worrying About Tomorrow, 
-Rafael 

No comments: