Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nope, Not Yet!


How about them Bears!  So, I played football and graduated from Baylor University, and just yesterday they "whoop"ed the aggies from atm. It was a good feeling for a guy who's mostly been on loosing football teams my entire life.  Funny thing is...not too sure I ever played because I had to win.  I simply loved playing the game of football because it allowed me to channel a whole lot of aggression I had as a kid, and then it turned out to be fun being able to hit people and to be praised for it. 

I grew up in West Texas (aka- Football Country), and playing football was a way of life for most boys in this area.  My dad played, my brother played, and my sisters loved being cheerleaders for their respective teams.  My dad and brother were my inspirations as far as football was concerned.  Always coaching me up on the do's and don't, but mostly do's!  My dad would always tell me about his days playing high school football.  He never mentioned any accolades, but always talked about his "war" stories as I refer to them in thought.  He would tell me how he never stopped playing until the referee had blown the whistle.  Even if that meant jumping on the "pile" well after the play was over.  He even dislocated his shoulder flying through air hitting the ground while diving at a player who had already been tackled.  He would always say, "Son, don't stop playing until that whistle blows."  So growing up I always played that way.  My freshman year I was penalized for blind siding the quarterback well after he had already handed the ball off.   I knew I wasn't going to make the play downfield on the ball carrier, so I did just what I had been taught to do; I nailed the guy.  My coaches argued with the refs on my behalf, but as they say, "what was done, was done!"  It didn't discourage me any, and I continued to play that way the rest of my football career. Last year against Colorado (CU), I did the same thing well after the play was over, and was again penalized.  My coach later told me that he glad at least someone was "hitting".  I never stopped playing until the whistle had been blown, and maybe sometimes a little after the whistle.  Seeing as how that is what I was taught, I was a little discouraged this week when I was confronted by Nate about my work ethic.

Earlier this week, I was thinking to myself about the joy I was going to have once I was done working in the oil-field.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm going to miss my co-workers, and the satisfaction of a hard days work, but I won't miss the work.  It's hard sometimes, and the days are long all the time.  I'm not sure whether I was so focused on it all ending, but I really started to drag my feet early in the week.  My new friend Nate noticed, and wasn't hesitant to let me know.  He made the comment, "Hey man, the whistle hadn't blown yet."  Boy, was he ever right.  If he only knew the battle that's been taking place for his soul.  And knowing that my time with him is coming to an end, it sure wasn't time to be dragging.  Thank you Nate, for keeping my accountable.  Your soul is worth so much to our God, and I want you to see His light in everything I do.  So, I'm sorry for wanting to call it quits a little early.  

I'll have you know, that the rest of the week, was straight business as far as work ethic was concerned, and at seven this morning we heard our whistle.  It was great to see the sun come up knowing that we are going to have a much needed seven day break from the daily grind.  Nate and I are going to have dinner later this week at Red Lobster.  It's going to be great to be able to spend some time with him outside of work.  Maybe we'll catch a movie too.  Who cares what we do; I'm just glad I was reminded that the whistle hasn't blown yet, and I can't stop fighting (praying) for his soul.  My hope for you (reader) is that you have been reminded of two things: 1-play until the whistle is blown & 2-Whether you eat, sleep or drink, do it all for the glory of God (1 Corinthian 10:31).  

-Rafael 

2 comments:

Arla said...

Good word... If you do not mind I would like to use this for my bible study "play until the whistle is blown". Love Arla

Rafael said...

Just got your comment. And you can use any of this blog however you'd like!